The Mrs. and I

Friday, January 18, 2013

Should I stay or should I go?

 Is the dilemma I'm facing currently. Should I stay at the job I'm at (gatehouse attendant) until April, then go back to mosquito abatement full-time and only be here on an "as-needed" basis? Or.....should I stay here with a possible promotion coming, which would put me as the gatehouse manager, which would also put me on salary, raise my pay significantly, and also give me benefits? And in doing so, I would pretty much say goodbye to doing mosquito abatement, which I love doing. The hourly pay would be the same (if I got the upgrade at the gatehouse) but I wouldn't be working the night shift anymore, which would be a huge perk. I'm not a big fan of these shifts. Another perk would be that I'd have the 6 AM to 2 PM shift, so it'd be early in the morning, but I'd get off work early and would still have plenty of time in the day to do things. On the other hand, I'd be stuck in an office job, more or less, and the thought of that doesn't really intrigue me. I don't like to be confined to a small space when I'm working; I like to roam around, which is why I love the mosquito abatement job so much, because I'm outside every day and can pretty well do as I please. It fits me perfectly. However, that job is only temporary, lasting from April 'til September, plus it doesn't offer any insurance benefits or anything, which I really need now that I have a wife and will have a family in the future. I realize I need a stable job, one that lasts all-year round and, most importantly, has benefits, but at what cost do I get that type of job? So there's my dilemma. Get a promotion with benefits, but not be very thrilled about going to work, or go to the job that I love and enjoy doing every day, but without any benefits.
<sigh> Decisions, decisions...

No comments:

Post a Comment