The Mrs. and I

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Snapped Tibia

 Did any of the five people reading this see Kevin Ware of Louisville snap his tibia last Sunday?? I watched it live and at first, I didn't realize what had happened. But once they replayed it, oh man you knew right away. His leg just flopped there, basically. In a word, it was...freaky. Freaky what it looked like and freaky in how it happened. All he did was close out on his man, jumped, landed, and his leg did that, just snapped. It's so crazy to think that one second you're in the air, and the next second you've basically snapped your lower leg in half. Pretty gruesome but it's encouraging to see how well he's doing now and that he was out of the hospital just two days after the injury. He's a pretty strong young man and is also very inspiring.

 A few weeks ago, my family had the opportunity to go out to California for nearly a week, mainly to go to Disneyland. Maggie's parents/Grandpa have a condo in nearby Long Beach, so she and I and my parents got to stay there, while my bro and his 5 kids got to stay in the motor home that my Dad bought earlier in the month. They were quite cozy, but there wasn't enough room for all of us in the condo, so they made due in the motor home and it worked out just fine. We got to go to Disneyland on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, so three days in a row, and let me say, we were worn out by the time Thursday came. Three days of being at the parks for the entire day can really wear a person out. Thankfully it wasn't too busy there, relatively speaking. We had to wait our turn in the lines, sure, but at least we didn't have to wait for hours. I don't think we'd do that anyway, but still. Fast passes are the way to go, by far. I think at least one of us in our group went on every ride in both parks. Oh I forgot that Maggie's nephews (mine, too) and their parents were there with us, too, so we had a lot of bodies to go on rides. I'm a wimp when it comes to big rides (I get dizzy on a regular swing), but I did all the rides I could, like Indiana Jones, the Matterhorn, Splash Mountain, the Radiator Springs ride. We all had a great time, other than my little niece, Audrey. I'm pretty sure she got freaked out on every ride she went on, except for It's A Small World. Not sure what her deal was, but hopefully she won't get so affected by them and can enjoy it better. Overall, though, we had a blast. Maggie and I got to spend some time with her Grandpa Bill, who is 91 but you'd never know it. He lives in an assisted living place, which is really nice. We had lunch with him our first day there, we met his lunch mate, Phil, who is pretty young compared to everyone else there, but he's a great guy who loves sports, particularly baseball. He and I talked baseball for a good half hour or more. He's a good guy and is very, very nice. We met Bill's other pal there, who's name is Al, and Al is quite the character. I think he's close to 95 but he's as vibrant as someone more than half his age. He has a hard time hearing, so mostly everything he says is yelled, but that makes it all the more fun :) He has some pretty funny stories but I think Maggie and I mostly just like his voice and the way he says things, at least I do. He's from Connecticut, so he's got that Eastern accent and yeah it makes for some pretty fun stories. Our last day there, a Friday, we visited with the guys a little too long and nearly missed our flight home as a result. Thankfully our drive to the airport wasn't very long, then traffic wasn't bad and the airport wasn't busy at all, so we made it with about 10 minutes to spare. Whew! We were sweating it the whole way, but yeah we made it and got home safely. What a fun trip! Hopefully we can go back again soon.

 Let's see, I only have one more week of these night shifts left and then I'm on to regular day shifts at mosquito abatement! I cannot wait! I've been looking forward to this time ever since last season ended, basically. Some days I never thought it would come, as I've been working this night shift 3-4 nights a week ever since October, plus working at the golf course from mid-September until mid-November. So there were a lot of quick turnarounds, going from one job to the next, but you do what you have to do and hey, I made it through. Starting April 15th, my shifts will be from 7 AM until 3 PM, which is MUUUUCCCHHH better than 10 PM to 6 AM. I know my wife will enjoy it, too. These night shifts aren't the greatest, but I know there are far worse jobs out there and I'm just thankful for having A job, even if it is at night. The paycheck at this next job will be a very welcome sight as well.

 Shoot, I can't think of a whole lot else to jot down, other than I wish Michigan would've beaten Louisville!!! It was an incredible game, but I was really pulling for Michigan. And the whole coverage of Kevin Ware (guy with the broken leg) was a bit too much for my liking, I mean a lot of people are saying that him breaking his leg is their best moment of the whole tournament, which I don't agree with. There are WAY many better moments than that, such as Spike Albrecht racking up 17 points in the first half of the championship game and not missing a shot! Where did this kid come from? Sure, Ware's injury was something you won't forget, but that wasn't the best "moment" of the tournament. It was a game for the ages, though, that's for sure. I just hope that the stars of Michigan will really think about their decisions to go pro and come back to college next year. They can dominate if they do! Money talks, though.

 Anyway I guess I'll wrap it up there. I'm thankful for all that I have, grateful for the loving family that I have, the talents and abilities that I've been blessed with, the car that I have to drive, a place to live, clothes on my back, and great friends to converse with. If I'm ever feeling down, I just have to realize what I DO have and realize that it's a lot better than what a lot of people in this world have, and I need to be grateful for it. Life is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment